Thursday, July 26, 2018

7/21/18 Saturday

                Today was the final day of the field class, it went by quicker than I taught it would. This morning I woke up with excitement as I knew that today I would be back home. I was lucky enough to bring my own tent on this trip and so I was the first one out of the group to be packed and ready. Everyone else had to clean their tents to be turned in. Jessica appointed me as the inventory checker; I had to check in all the equipment that was issued by the Heritage students and of the White Swan students. The inventory check worked out quite well and nobody was missing anything, instead, we had extra equipment. As I was doing the inventory check I had to wait for students to get their equipment cleaned out and honestly I just wanted them to hurry up because I wanted to go back home. It is not that I did not like the trip but two weeks straight eating sandwiches for lunch can make you miss the commodities back home.

               On our way back home around 10am, we stooped at Colie dam at the visitor’s center. Jessica tried to get us a tour of the dam but sadly they were all bucked for the morning. The visitors center was not all bad, there were a lot of displays about the equipment that was used to build the dam. My favorite part was building an electric puzzle that was powered by batteries that made a fan spin. It was really cool because everyone around me was also amused to see the puzzle work. After the dam, we stopped at a rest area known as Dry Falls to fill out the final class evaluations. I was talking to a ranger that works there and I was surprised to learn that Dry Falls was the result of an ice age. The view there was incredible. After Dry Falls we stopped at Coulee City to eat some Mc Donald’s. I just want to thank Jessica for paying for everybody’s orders. It was nice to see my classmate’s reactions to eating a hamburger instead of their sandwiches. I saved my sandwich from today and gave it to my dog when I got back home as a souvenir from my trip. When we stooped at the rest area in Selah I have never felt so happy to finally see my desert wasteland valley. We arrived earlier than any other group at heritage because we all managed to finish our vlogs earlier than predicted, we arrived at heritage at 4pm.
           
 

                This field class has truly been an adventure for me; it has given more knowledge about environmental science and culture sharing than I could have imagined. I built new bonds with new people that I had not met before and if it was not for this trip, this would have not been possible. The time and effort that everyone from the faculty put in this trip was incredible especially through the rough times we had. I honestly cannot thank Dr. Jessica Black enough for making all this possible, I will never forget this experience. To me, this opportunity has been life-changing as a college student and as a person. In all honesty, I now have more respect for the different Native Americans reservations that are around my area. I also learned that if I was not a criminal justice major environmental science would have been my major.         

No comments:

Post a Comment