Wednesday, July 11, 2018

7/7/18 - Saturday

            Today was my first day on people of the big river field class of 2018. Before we left to potato hill we had a guest speaker who provided the class with some background on our trip. Her name was Jhona Lee and she worked for the Yakima Nation and she is the coordinator for the Yakima Nation agricultural planning. As a criminal justice major, it was shocking to learn that the Yakima Valley (my home) is already going through drastic changes for the worst. In the next 50-80 years the valley could become just like Oregon or Seattle due to the climate changes of global warming. It will drastically change the environment affect farmers and their crops. Such upcoming changes are for the worst because there will be less snow and more rain that will change the ecosystem of the valley. The agricultural lifestyle of the valley is at stake because it could eventually decrease. 

             Later, around 1pm we departed campus and stopped at white swan to collect willow branches for smores. On our way to the willow tree I saw an amazing site of the largest pine tree in Washington state that was amazing. When we got to camp we started to set up our tents, but to be honest, today has got to be one of the worst experiences that I had to have in camping. There were swarms and swarms of mosquitos all evening and night. But I can say that all those bites were worth it because I got to see a gorgeous view of Mt. Adams up-close. That was really touching for me because I always have wanted to visit that mountain but in my 12 years living I just never had the chance to do so on my own time. To see that sight up-close has no words for me. Later own for dinner we had spaghetti and me and my group had to wash the dishes for our daily chores. The water that we washed the dishes with was extremely cold. Getting bit by mosquitoes and washing dishes with freezing water is not my cup of tea, but I guess this is what this field trip is for to learn to do new things.  


No comments:

Post a Comment